Thursday, December 15, 2005

Words and response

I would like to clear up a misconception from my previous post. The physician who blogs at Red State M-word did send me email in reponse to my original email to him. It was unfortunately spam-filtered out by my over-zealous work email account. I gave the impression he had not replied, which is incorrect and unfair.

In fact, he has emailed me in quite thoughtful ways since the post, and there is a discussion at his blog, if you are interested. I hope if you are reading what I write, you are interested in the concept of the continued use of words meaning "retard" as an insult.

One commenter wants to know why, if I am so concerned about the use of the word in the term "red state moron", I don't take on all the other pundits who use the word to refer to those in red states. I don't know...where does my energy simply die? It's one thing to discuss this with an obviously caring physician who may not have thought previously about the use of the term. It's another to take on pseudo-news blogs and talk-show blabberheads.

Don't you think?

mary

1 Comments:

Blogger KC said...

Hi Mary,
I left my Derridean comment over on the RSM's blog where I hope it is less likely to give you a headache. :-)

I love, love, love the ambiguity of the question with which you end this post.

1:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home