Monday, April 10, 2006

This blog is apparently not about the nursing experience

Huh.

Well, maybe it's not. Maybe it's really about health care continuums, and community care alternatives. About safety nets and access to care and the unmet needs of the uninsured. About what it looks like to case manage complex kids in America today.

Which I thought was "the nursing experience". At least, it's "the nursing experience" from my shoes.

My blog (which I'll admit is pretty new) has been declined by a "nursing blogs" blog; nicely, with a compliment about my writing, but reminding me that they are really looking for blogs that pertain to "the nursing experience".

Apparently the only "nursing experience" is acute inpatient hospital based. Or somehow excludes the kind of case management they pay an RN like me to do.

Well, I'm not going to quibble. I'm aware of this implicit bias because people sometimes ask me what I used to do "when" I was a nurse. Even other nurses ask me that. It can get irritating after awhile, but there you go. Once you're out from beside the bed, not only doesn't the public understand you are still a nurse doing nursing for a living, your own peers don't believe it either.

Of course, I do get off topic and post about my personal life. Or about what is interesting to me in the world of health care policy. You know, like...blogging. What bloggers do. What blogs were intended for, I thought. Maybe the decliners thought I verged off topic too much for a blog featuring "the nursing experience".

:-)

Anyway I thought I'd ask some of my readers to respond and tell me:

What is "the nursing experience"?

Looking forward to comments, whether you are a nurse or not.

mary (you know, the case manager who signs "RN" after her name and before her title)

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like nursing experience to me.

It's always a worry when some people get to exclude other people based on a very narrow definition. Which is what so much of your blog is about. Ironic.

8:37 PM  
Blogger Kim said...

Oh, this makes me very angry.

You're in the "Nurses" section of my blog, that's for sure.

The nursing experience is anything you experience in your role as an RN.

And as for non-nursing content, I did an entire post on John Lennon, did a big section on Queen just yesterday, put a picture of me and Jonathan Cain of Journey up last year and routinely discuss my American Idol addiction.

Perhaps the folk/s in charge of the site are not actually nurses and don't understand what "nursing" is.

3:15 AM  
Blogger Kim said...

I agree with "That Girl"!

If I wanted to read a medical or nursing journal I would. I want the personaltouch when I read blogs.

4:57 AM  
Blogger babe said...

double huh

you're a nurse. just because there isn't blood, et tubes and drugs aflying doesn't change that.

my patients are miles away from me. i sit and watch them on a computer screen. but they are still my patients and i am still their nurse.

3:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home