woo-wee! Nursing blogs review part one
I've just spent several hours reviewing nursing blogs with the help of Google (hopefully, without government supervision of same, as some of the blogs are a trifle, um, explicit). Things I've learned so far:
1) lots of nurses don't like nursing much.
2) new nurses think old nurses suck and await the day we all retire with profound hopeful glee.
3) old nurses think new nurses suck and lament the wave of the future when they retire and the new crew takes over the ship.
4) some nurses use baby words to describe excreta. It's interesting, but unnerving.
5) excreta of all kinds and body fluids in general figure prominently on many nursing blogs. Leading one to wonder which came first: the attraction to nursing of people interested in excreta and body fluids, or the frequent exposure to same resulting in profound preoccupation in off-duty hours with writing about it all?
I have not yet come to any conclusions. I actually went looking at nursing blogs to find some to put in a permanent link section here, such as seen on many medical blogs (and parenthetically: how come all health-related blogs regardless of content or authorship are lumped under the category "medical"?). Sadly, although there are several nurses blogging with whom I would be proud to share a night-shift cup of coffee, there are many more who are, well, embarrassing. This need to describe in graphic detail the horrible incident of the body-fluid-of-the-day and the play-by-play details of how you made it through the shift seem so much wasted space to me.
I mean, other nurses already know all about it. So does the general public, who are the providers of the body-fluids you clean up and then run home to blog about. This public show of sardonic, jaded, burnt-out, "let's see who can be the most graphic and use the most vulgarity" rather petty storytelling doesn't show us to our best advantage, does it?
But of course, what do I know, old-timer that I am. :-)
Stay tuned for part two, I know there are good blogs out there to link to!!! Any suggestions welcome, by the way.